<VV> Re: Italian cars ---No Corvair

Taruffi57 at aol.com Taruffi57 at aol.com
Wed Jun 29 11:19:55 EDT 2005

In a message dated 6/29/2005 9:01:09 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

>"You  know a country is in trouble when the best car they can buy is a
Fiat!"

Well, you can buy a Smart Car there but only the  diesel

I was in northern Italy 11 days this March and believe me, they have a
helluva lot more practical and wider choices of cars than we do.  Their  cars
average being about 2/3 the size of what we drive, but since even diesel is  around
$4.25 gal., most newer cars are turbo diesels.  Our group had mostly  Alfa
turbo diesel 4 drs. with 5 speed manuals.  I loved it and it wasn't  slow.

Italians are WAY better drivers than Americans too.  Yes, they  are
aggressive and will go around you - sometimes into oncoming traffic -  if you don't
"close-it-up" but they also do not get in the way in the left  lane.  There is a
strong awareness of proper lane use.

Most all cars on the roads are new or nearly new and it is a rare sight to
see something like an old Fiat 600 or an older Alfa.

Joe Dunlap
Florida