Fwd: <VV> rebodied corvairs/the 3rd one I couldn't title

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Wed Jun 29 11:58:53 EDT 2005

One last $.02 from me.  Bill's points (and others) get into the value of the
car.  Some of us may get away with things--our love for the cars have kept
thousands on the road that would have been junked otherwise.  But values are
increasing and our work has value too.  If you expect to get that value back from
someone when you sell your car then you have to take their interests into
account.  If you're going to drive "old flash" until you die and then be buried in
it then no problem.

I talked about the 2 cars I got titles for and not the 3rd--a '65 Monza conv.
 On that one all the paperwork was done and I was at DMV having put out about
$500.00 in towing, tires etc.  The parts guy at Amatucci Chevrolet had told
me about it when I bought some Corvair parts at a discount just before they
went out of business.  It had been sitting on their lot for years.  The top had
rotted through, the floors were rusted through and it was sitting on its rims
with four flat tires.  They had no record of who owned it.

When I got to Glen Burnie (DMV Hdqrtrs in MD) the clerk pointed out that I
had transposed two numbers on the VIN.  All the advertising was no good--I had
to start over again.  The clerk felt sorry for me and looked up the correct VIN
and gave me the address of the registered owner.  I promptly called to let
her know I had her car and that I had rescued her vehicle from the crusher.  She
said I couldn't have her car as her son was restoring it!!  Turns out the son
had abandoned the car at Amatucci at least two years ealier.  After meeting
with the daughter (who said her Mom had been paying for the "restoration" over
the years) and showing what I had done to save the car as well as the
paperwork that I had gone through everything worked out and the car went to a body
shop to be properly done.

That was the last time I tried to save a car without an owner.  I've helped
several non-Corvair types get their Vairs running, but a car without an owner
is just a parts car to me now.

Bob Hall