<VV> 67 110/pg AC - Distributor?

EVERETT WILSON aircooled6 at prodigy.net
Wed Jun 29 12:09:55 EDT 2005

Several of my brain cells aligned for a short time
last night and came up with the following question: In
my 67 500 4door with 110/pg and fact air the book says
to set the timing at 24 degrees which I can do since
it has the little aluminum extension on the timing
scale.  However,  the distributor that is in the car
is the standard 110PG distributor with its advance
curve which causes knock at virtually all power above
idle.  Now, I know it has 95 style heads ( per larry
claypool).  The question is: shouldnt it also have a
95 style distributor?  There is no way I can run the
thing at stock base timing with the large advance on
the distributor.  It could have been changed out at
some point, although I am the second owner and the
first didnt have much changed on the car.  I have been
running the car like a standard 110 at 14 degrees or
so and its OK, but a bit slow to rev, but at least it
rarely knocks on 93 octane.  I ran 89 all winter and
it was fine, in fact it was amazing how much smoother
it idled and ran on the 89 gas.

What I guess Im really wondering is would it increase
the "drivability" of the car if the base timing was
set at 24 with the small advance of a 95 style
distributor, which is what I think should be there.

Oh, and just to keep up with the oil string - it has
10w30 synthetic in it and has since I brought it home
3 or 4 years ago (40k miles since).  I tried 15-50 and
it wouldnt idle below 1500 rpm  - had to dump it out
and put the 10-30 in.  Very weird.
Other than some drips from what I think is the rear
main seal, it is dry as can be.

Everett Wilson
North Richland Hills TX
67 500 4dr 110/pg/ac (driven daily)