<VV> A question about engine noises...

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed Jun 29 19:17:18 EDT 2005

At 08:49 hours 06/15/2005, Frank DuVal wrote:
>Hey Tony,
>
>Do you remember at a Vair Fair about 20 years ago Steve Hinton ran a '60
>engine wide open throttle? I forget if the belt was left off to start
>or  fell off during the run, but the engine never  stopped  running. It
>was cut off after maybe 30 mins so  the fire from the oil leak could be
>put out! Not that I would say the engine was "good" after that run.
>
>Frank DuVal

I somehow misplaced this post until now, just found it.

I sure as Hell DO remember Steve's "contest" at Baugher Chevy during the
Vair Fair that year.   People bought "times" on how long the engine would
last running flat out wide open, throttle hung WFO with a carb spring, and
no fan belt.

It was a red 1960 700 coupe, didn't really look that bad at all, even the
radio was working.    And yep, the engine refused to die, screaming for all
it was worth, ran flat out and went on and on and on and on...  no fan
belt, removed at the start.    It finally did die after getting a dose of
CO2 fire extinguisher down the carbs when oil leaking from the shot tube
seals ignited from the HOT exhaust manifolds that must have been glowing
after all that time...  and Steve was concerned about his new battery that
was in the battery box and waved the extinguisher around to put out the oil
fire lest it scorch his shiny new battery.    A lungfull of CO2 will shut
down a Vair engine in no time flat...  just wound down and coasted to a
halt.

Not sure what became of the engine but I bet that after it cooled off, it
would likely start and run again.    As I mentioned earlier, I eventually
ended up with the gas tank from the '60 coupe, stashed in the barn as a
spare.

Next time I see Steve  I'm gonna ask what he did with the engine.    Hell,
it may be running in a car somewhere...

tony..