<VV> RE: vin # issues

mopar at jbcs2.net mopar at jbcs2.net
Thu Jun 30 15:13:22 EDT 2005

There has been a lot of discussion here lately regarding vin # issues. For
the most part, all states have different rules and regulations. What
generally remains the same is the issue of fraud. Gone are the days of nod,
nod, wink wink on this matter. Boyd Coddington thought he had it made, the
thing that really nailed him more than anything else was the issue of tax
evasion..............
Last weekend I was running a 2-day car show and I have developed the habit
of looking at the registration sticker on the window of the car to verify
its year during classification. I happened to notice a T-Bucket registered
as a 2004 homemade, and a 32 Ford registered as a 2002. Yeah they were both
kits, or home made street rods........so do you put them in the class with
the real street rods of that era? Or do you put them with the "new" cars? I
put them with what they most resembled, but was reminded of the 57 T-Bird I
had problems with last year. It was I beleive a factory produced kit car
made in the 80's which sported a pinto driveline. He wanted to enter the
T-Bird class.....I said "special interest" or nothing........he wasn't
happy.

Also, many years ago, I had a lengthy discussion regarding fraud with some
insurance agents. A kit car like a dune buggy, has to be registered as
such. If it is registered as a VW, or Corvair etc.....the insurance company
can disavow any liability or responsibility for any damages as the vehicle
has been mis-represented to them.....They insured a VW, sure doesn't look
like one.

Gary Swiatowy