<VV> exhaust sound corvair

kovacsmj kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 30 17:47:52 EDT 2005

 I just completed a complete overhaul of a ’66 140. (Head work includes
new valves, guides, seats, springs etc. The valves were adjusted first
cold then hot. The hot adjustment produced a rocker clatter at ¾ turns
out, so it was very close to perfect as that is where I adjust them in
when hot),

 I have a question concerning an exhaust sound that puzzles me. The car
has had about .5 hours on it with hi and low rpm and seems to run fine
around my yard. However, I have a sound from the right exhaust that
puzzles me. It sounds like a spit. Holding my hand near the exhaust pipe
I can feel a bit of a pulse when it spits. It is not totally constant,
but it is always there 4-5 times, misses a second or two and then 1-2
times again etc. Does this sound indicate a valve not operating
properly??

 The left side is just a normal Corvair sound. The mufflers are stock as
are the manifolds.

Getting all the information is most of the solution.

MIKE KOVACS