<VV> RE: instant messaging.

Steven R. Marti srmarti at netzero.net
Tue Mar 1 11:39:36 EST 2005

For what it's worth, I don't see much point in instant messaging.  If I'm
going to have a real time conversation, I'd rather pick up the phone than
bang away at a keyboard.  Voice communication is capable of maybe
300words/min.  I can't type that fast.  Near-real-time back and forth might
occasionally be useful to some, but I probably won't use it. Also seems to
me that further geographically (east/west) separated individuals are the
less likely to find instant messaging convenient.

Steve

Not that it is a big deal but has anyone ever kicked around the notion of
the VV chapter taking advantage of using instant messaging?

I believe that this could make VV more vibrant and would be a useful way to
foster further input from members, especially if the Directors participate
on occasion.

I like the format now, but this might be an improvement that we can
implement with minimal cost which would enhance our ability to recruit new
members.