<VV> Re: That CORSA display & "Corvair Basics"

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Wed Mar 2 12:45:49 EST 2005

Hi folks,

Yet another long CORSA post.  Delete now if you're not interested.

On Mar 1, 2005, at 11:40 AM, Robert Marlow, Vairtec Corp. wrote:

> We sought to obtain it subsequently for a mall show, but it was not
> available to us.  I got the impression at that time that it wasn't
> available to us mostly because no one wanted to be bothered with what
> it would take to ship it to us.  A membership recruitment opportunity
> lost.

I am also involved in my local Little League, WSLL (much of the reason
why my Corvair involvement falls off the table from March to June).
Although the organizations serve very different purposes, WSLL
struggles with many of the same general issues in terms of how to get
things done.  In the last couple years our President, Steve Gillingham,
has taken as his major task a complete overhaul of our administrative
structure.

You see, WSLL has the same problem as CORSA.  Everybody's there to play
baseball with kids, just as CORSA members want to play with their cars
and Corvair friends.  What happens is you get a volunteer with an idea
to make the program better who runs with it.  So far, so good.  Then
that person leaves and with them goes all the knowledge of how that
particular sub-program worked.  Problem two is that new volunteers
hesitate to take on a job because the scope is undefined, or worse, the
job isn't even listed anywhere.  Too much work then falls on the folks
who do get involved, burning them out.

One significant project we are in process of implementing is an
operations guide with sections for *everything*.  The idea then being
that a new volunteer has two things - one, a list of fairly well
delineated jobs, and second, a good guide of how to accomplish a given
task.  All this then goes on our website.  I know some of this already
exists for the big CORSA functions, but I perhaps a lot of little ones
like this aren't documented.

In terms of the CORSA display, reading all the posts I see just such a
job description coming together, something like "CORSA display
coordinator":

General responsibility is to set up a schedule of events for the CORSA
display and coordinate the transportation, staffing, and materials
needed for the display.

1 - Actively seek CORSA chapters who wish to use the display at a
public event and are willing to receive, set up, man, break down, and
ship out the CORSA display and related materials.

2 - Arrange transportation (via commercial shipper or CORSA member) to
the chapter POC, and if possible have the display shipped directly from
one event to the next.

3 - Set up a standard stock of items and a post-use form so chapters
finished with the display can identify items used so those items can be
sent to the next user to restock the display.

4 - Transmit either by mail or electronically a set of usage documents
to the chapter POC prior to their event to include set up, tear down,
storage, and ship by date.

That's one way of doing it.  If somebody wants to handle this, perhaps
volunteering to do this (or some modified version) to the BOD would
receive a positive answer.  I'll add that after the first year things
would probably get pretty easy since a number of the events, and
perhaps members moving the display, would be the same year to year.

--Bryan