<VV> Thieves (no Corvair)

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Sat Mar 5 08:58:48 EST 2005

Clark

I don't know about all dealers, but GM has a very set policy about cutting
keys. And if an employee violates this policy, they usually get fired.  And
it pisses off customers BAD sometimes, but here it is.

IF you want the dealer to cut  you keys for a car, ONLY the registered
owner, WITH proper Picture ID, and the Title or Registration in hand, can
get them.

That means, if your 90 year old mother in law locks her keys in her car,
then said 90 year old woman must come to the dealer, with her photo ID, and
registration to request the keys.  You can't take her license and
registration in there and get it done for her.

Exceptions, A Bonded and Licensed Locksmith, who can't get it right with his
equipment, or a repo man---also bonded and licensed.   These are the only
two exceptions I have ever seen to this policy.

The rules for this are posted in every GM dealership , usually near the
Parts Dept where the key  machine usually is.

The reason for this normally is not outright auto theft, but
seperation/divorce--where one party comes to get keys to get the car away
from the other----no go--they get real hot, but the policy is what it is for
that reason.  The stories you get can be unreal, but the dealer can't bend.
If the title/or registration card is in the glove box, and the car is
locked, the customer has 2 options---have a locksmith open it, slim jim it
if possible, or break a window.  Maybe an expensive lesson, but GM dealers
won't be party to auto theft.

Regards
HANK