<VV> Towing with 95s

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Sat Mar 5 12:55:33 EST 2005

At 06:08 hours 03/04/2005, vairtec at optonline.net wrote:
>Bob Helt quoted generously from Chevrolet data on torque, demonstrating a
>superiority of the 110 to the 95.
>
>All of which may indeed be true, but my calibrated Corvair fanny cannot
>tell any difference between the two engines in two otherwise-identical
>Corvairs, so I don't sweat the difference.
>
>As we know, individual engines can vary greatly, and I've encountered some
>lion-hearted 95s and some weak-kneed 110s.  But in general, I find the two
>engines indistinguishable.

I don't mean to start anything but I've found otherwise.

Compare two cars...  for instance, one being a '66 95/PG 4-door and the
other a '65 110/PG coupe (the two test subjects in my case, both with
3.27's)  and drive both, starting out at the base of a hill like the one in
front of my house.   See which one, from a dead stop, scoots up the hill
more briskly.   Likewise the '67 95/3sp 500 vs the '65 Corsa 140/4sp... the
'67 car will always run up the hill from a dead start easier than the 140
car and always has... and yes I know there's a weight difference between
the cars but not THAT much of a difference.   A buddy of mine ran a '68 500
w/95hp/4sp for some time and he could always whip my 140 ragtop off the
line.   Of course I always caught/passed him after getting through 2nd but
off the line the 95 hp always jumped out ahead.   Both these cars had
3.55's.

This hill has been my gauge as to how well the cars are running,
overall.   For instance, I know it's time to tune the Multipla when it can
no longer pull the hill in 2nd gear.   It is a pretty steep hill.

I don't know about other people's backsides but *I* can certainly feel the
difference between a 95 and a 110 off the line in acceleration.    That
95hp camshaft was intended to make more low end torque at the sacrifice of
upper end horsepower.    And, it does indeed pull better at low rpm than a
110.    Of course this is also why a 95 runs out off wind at around 4500
rpm while a 110 will still pull to 5000.

Sure, in a dragrace a 110 takes the 95, but around town driving or climbing
those hills etc the 95 simply seems to show a little more low end
muscle.   Likewise if you're gonna be running heavy... the extra low end
always seems to comes in handy.       Just my own personal opinion.

tony..