<VV> FC 4 Speed Conversion SUCCESS!

Greenbrier Goon greenbriergoon at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 5 23:36:05 EST 2005

Everyone who has been following this mess:
At long last my 4 speed conversion seems to be a success.

I finally wrestled the drive train back into the van this past week.  I drove around for a good 20 minutes today without any shifting problems. Smooth shifting and no grinding.

It looks like the problem was most likely the pilot bushing.  The input shaft fit very snug into the old one.  The new one was noticeably looser.  It was easy to spin the input shaft between the palms of my hands.

I also used a used input shaft instead of the NOS one I had in there before.  It fit just slightly looser than the NOS one did.

Last but not least I took the bell housing to a machine shop to check for sag.  It was about .008 off so I had it machined to perfection.

Some previous attempts at solving the grinding shifting problem included:

Replacing the new T/O bearing with an NOS one that was slightly taller, replacing the used clutch cable with an NOS one, lengthening the clutch pedal one inch, designing a lever system that pulled the clutch arm further than the cable normally would, measuring the disc, pressure plate and every other clutch component.

I would like to thank those on the list who offered advise on this situation.  Some of it was way off, but most of it was good.

I would like to say I am sorry to Lon at the Corvair Underground for coming unglued over the lost pilot bearing incident.  He's a good guy and has helped me out many times in the past.

Now, I can move forward with my life.

Charles

Greenbrier World:
http://www.c-zone.net/northgte/greenbrier.htm