<VV> Rod question answers and other thoughts

qcc65 at charter.net qcc65 at charter.net
Mon Mar 7 12:49:21 EST 2005

Thanks to Harry & Larry for the information below. I had a pile of rods,
and I knew some were early and some late. Was looking for a difference
from center pin to center journal and couldn't find it. Now I'm smarter
thanks to the Gurus on VV. This did bring another question to mind tho.
Maybe Warren L. will chime in. In racing applications, I am told the
crankshafts are the limiting factor on horsepower. 8000 RPM max,
then they will start coming apart. If the early rods are good up to that
point, are they not better for racing applications? Given the talk about
unsprung weight? Hope I'm not wasteing anybody's time with these
ponderings.
Ron Guy
CORSA, Corvair Atlanta, CORSA/NC, QCCC, VV, Group Red Member
Def Stinger Project
South Eastern Ultra Monza Project

<<Answer from Harry Yarnell>>

Cross sectional area greatly increased in the rod portion on the late rods.
The difference is obvious when held side by side.
Harry Yarnell
perryman garage and orphanage
perryman, MD

<<Answer from Larry Shapiro>>

64-9 are wider..stronger..
and can be used in early applications with no problems,
Larry