<VV> Front rebuild

John Kepler bigjohnohio at worldnet.att.net
Mon Mar 7 18:17:12 EST 2005

I'll give an even MORE important reason to remove the
cross-member.......replacing those 35+ year-old bolts!  Every Corvair I've
worked on has displayed a significant amount of hydrogen embrittlement in
the front and rear suspension attachment bolts.   Most of the bolts broke at
torques significantly BELOW the original tightening specs.  I have seen
other cars where the heads have broken off spontaneously....just sitting!
The problem should be worse in the north where years of road salt have
provided a high level of electrolyte to facilitate the hydrogen migration.
This is enough of a concern to me to drop the cross members on every Vair I
get.

I have replaced the bolts in ALL my cars suspensions with the best SAE Grade
8 bolts I can buy.

John