Fwd: <VV> Front rebuild: Pull crossmember or not?

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Tue Mar 8 14:08:39 EST 2005

In a message dated 3/7/2005 4:00:26 PM Eastern Standard Time, joew at diveaz.com
writes:

> Is pulling
> >the crossmember a good idea?

If you have the time to do all the other things that should be done (gas tank
removal, cleanup/hose replacement, replace brake lines, clean up and
rustproof the underside of the trunk/fender just above the "frame" rails, rustproof
underside of floor, etc) I would recommend it.  You will also have a chance to
see it the crossmember is weak from rust anywhere.  I had three of mine dipped
at a business that used an alkali chemical process that didn't destroy rubber.
 I disassembled them after they had been dipped--much easier.  BUT BE SURE TO
FOLLOW THE MANUAL WHEN RELEASING THE LOWER BALLJ0INT--HAVE A CABLE OF CHAIN
IN PLACE TO KEEP THE SPRING FROM BECOMING A PART OF YOUR INTESTINES.  You will
probably have to drill out and retap the back two (shorter) bolts that will be
too rusty to remove without breaking.  Replace all mounting bolts with grade
6 or 8 and clean up the threads when reassembling.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair