<VV> 65 Eng Rebuild

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Wed Mar 9 15:47:39 EST 2005

In a message dated 3/9/05 1:02:46 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
rizakoyt at yahoo.com writes:

> Do you have the original specs for the 889 so I can
> check to see if the wear is more than .002"?  Can I
> use the specs in the 65 shop manual, or would these
> measurements be for the 891 or 304?
> Thanks again,
> kurT

Hi KurT
Yes the '65 Shop Manual (SM) Specs are correct. The 889 cam  is the base cam
at 0.257" lift, the 891 is the Hi-perf and 140 cam at 0.260" lift. The 304
lift isn't given for some reason but it is 0.249"

The tolerances aren't given as I remember and the 0.002' wear limit is my
suggestion, per the '69 SM.

To measure the cam lobes, use a micrometer or caliper and first measure the
bottom-to-top lobe height. Then measure across the lobe 90 deg from the first
measurement. Subtract the second number from the first and that will be the
lift.

Good luck.
Regards,
Bob Helt