<VV> Actual vs. advertised hp

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Wed Mar 9 17:30:57 EST 2005

Tony,
It seems quite apparent that you do not understand the differences between
SAE Net, SAE Gross and advertised horsepower ratings back in the pre 1975 days.
That seems to be the basic cause of your confusion. Although this is quite a
lengthy discussion, I'll try to bring you up to date.

Back in those days, GM would run engine dyno tests (with their accurate
dynos, by the way) with the engine configured exactly as it would be installed in
the vehicle. That is, with stock air cleaners, stock mufflers, with cooling fan
operating and accessories installed. The torque and hp numbers were then
corrected to a temperature of 100 deg F. That temp was selected since it
represented a typical under the hood real world temperature. The resulting numbers were
the Net HP and TQ, and were know as the "as installed" hp and TQ. These are
the real numbers! This is what the engines really developed.  This was the
flywheel horsepower.

For the 80 hp, they were lucky to get 65 real hp (yes, 65hp! ). For the 110
engine, 88 hp was it. For the 140 engine, 109-112 hp was all that was put out
by those engines. If you don't believe these numbers then all I can say is that
you have some serious problems.

GM then repeated all of these tests, but with no air cleaners, and and no
mufflers, but with a lab exhaust system with some vacuum pulling the exh out.
They also ran these tests by separately measuring the hp that the cooling fan
took and ADDED this hp back in to the measured engine output! Thus the resultant
output eliminated the power consumed by the fan. Then they corrected all the
data to 60 deg F, which had the effect of raising the hp since engines work
better with 60 deg air than with higher temps.  This data was called the SAE
GROSS hp and TQ. We know that these numbers are much higher than the net figures.
So for example the 140 hp engine developed 138 gross hp max!

But now the advertising dept got involved and bumped the gross hp numbers up
to something they felt would make their cars comptitive and attractive. Thus
the 140 engine now became 140 advertised hp.

So if you expect that a 140 hp engine is ever going to put out a real 140 hp
in stock configuration you are fooling yourself. You should read about the RST
Yenko Stinger engineering team that reported they had a heck of a time
getting the 140 engine to put out an actual 140 hp even after all their mods.

You apparently are confusing advertised hp with something real. Never happen.
Even the gross hp numbers are a lie since no one is ever going to test or run
a car with no cooling fan to get real world numbers. You have got to use the
net numbers. If you run any tests today, you need to make appropriate
corrections.

If you want any corroborative engine dyno test data, please refer to Hot Rod
mag, August 1975.

I hope that this will bring you up to date.

Regards,
Bob Helt