<VV> 65 Eng Rebuild

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Thu Mar 10 00:30:52 EST 2005

Well, Kurt, Here's my take on this.  I have three 140 4-sp Corvairs, two have the 304 cam and one has the 889 cam (with the PG140 retarded crank).  By far, the 889/retarded crank engine is the most fun.  It's easy to pull away from a stop and responds very strongly in the mid range. I am planning to modify one of my other cars to the same combo.  I can't say how the 889 cam would work "straight up", but I can say that it's an excellent cam with the rpm range mod provided by the retarded crank.  Let us know if you dont know how to tell a straight-up crank from a retarded crank. (numbers are the same)
Craig Nicol
67 140/4 889/retarded crank timing

<snip> I am in the middle of my engine rebuild.  Everything
is completly torn down, the crank is being ground at a
local machine shop, the cam is a big ?
Cam   # 3839889 - 1960-69     80,84,&95hp

What does having a cam specified for 80, 84, or 95 hp
do in an engine of 110hp?  I am assuming I should
order a new cam for #3872304<unsnip>