<VV> 95s Vs. 110s

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Thu Mar 10 03:29:59 EST 2005

At 01:06 hours 03/09/2005, UltraMonzaWest at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 3/9/2005 11:57:27 AM Pacific Standard Time,
>tonyu at roava.net writes:
>
> > I recall this topic being brought up in Communique articles...
> particularly
> >
> > the mention that a 140 engine actually makes around 120 hp and not
> > 140.   Real world horsepower tends to be not quite what the General
> > claimed.   I relate back to my earlier comment about how an independent
> > outfit blueprinted/rebuilt a 283 Chevy and dyno tested it on a MODERN
> > dyno.   That 195 hp (factory rating) 283 would not produce 195 hp no
> matter
> > what they did to it.   This was not a fly-by-night outfit, it was done by
> > the engineering staff of a major automotive performance magazine, done in
> > their contracted machine shop facilities.

>***********************
>
>Gee..your memories ares short!
>
>I remember reading that GM  tested our engines with no FAN / ALT / Muffler[s]
>and open air cleaners [ venturii??]

That was to inflate the performance specs, make the engines look better to
the adoring public...  ;)

By the way:

That 283 was tested "wide open" in blueprinted form, no water pump, fan
belt, nada.  It DID have headers while on the dyno.  No air
cleaner.   Supertuned.   The best it would do still wasn't enough to meet
what GM's specs said it would do.

Did somebody tell a fib about that 195 hp figure?    Or was the tech
department that blueprinted the engine and rebuilt it to precise factory
specs (along with  multitudes of other pro race engines that shop built on
a regular basis) simply staffed by a bunch of incompetent boobs who didn't
really know what they were doing...?

I'd wager that the General told a little white lie on the 283's horsepower
specs.

tony..