<VV> Re: HP rating gross and net

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Thu Mar 10 03:58:10 EST 2005

At 05:00 hours 03/09/2005, NOSVAIR at aol.com wrote:
>Thanks Bob,
>   I doubt anyone could have explained it better!  It was easy enough for the
>most elimentary of us (myself included) to understand. It makes me wonder
>when
>the magic 1 hp per 1 cubic inch production record was really broken.  Even if
>it wasn't the 283 fuelie please tell me it was a Chevy!  LOL

Sorry...   It was in 1956 with the 355hp 354ci optional Hemi engine in the
Chrysler 300-B.   From 1955 through 1962, the most powerful cars you could
buy in the USA were wearing Chrysler badges, some of them making 420 hp in
'62.

Chevy did manage to make some engines from the '60s through 1970 which did
produce advertised HP ratings which exceeded 1hp/ci.  such as the 327, 350,
409 427, and 454 V8s... and the venerable 164 turbo.    At least they were
advertised as such...    ;)

Everyone else was a little more conservative with their HP ratings, it
seems.   Even Chrysler's "race" variant 426 Hemi was only rated at 425 when
it would dyno out at almost 550 on a good day, and that's as supplied from
the factory.

I'm not sure what the ZL-1 427 would do, likewise the L-88 427, both of
which were underrated.   Seems real dyno specs are hard to find, at least
specs which could be depended upon as accurate.   It was like some sort of
black ops secret or something as to what these engines would actually
produce, kinda like the Chrysler Hemi.

tony..