<VV> ABS Brake problem (Non-Corvair)

Ewell Mills emills5 at cfl.rr.com
Thu Mar 10 09:57:56 EST 2005

I had many replies from different folks in trying to help me resolve my anti-lock rear brake problem on a 1999 Dodge Dakota.  Seems many don't know much about this, nor did I, Midas, and others.  After wasting lots of time and money on replacing stuff that was not bad, I finally got it fixed.  Seems Dodges and Fords use basically the same system.  There is a speed sensor mounted in the top of the differential (two wire plug on it) that controls a host of things.  In addition to sensing wheel lock up for ABS function, it also controls the speedometer, cruise control, idle control and who knows what else.  It is a dealer only item and costs a little over $30.00.  Easy to install, just be careful not to break it off when removing it as I did.  (Midas told me it was the ABSRW computer which is a dealer only item at a cost of over $300.00 for the part only).  Other codes read out by Auto-Zone etc. also pointed to incorrect parts. Hope this helps someone in the future.  Thanks to all who tried to help.

Cecil Mills
Cocoa, Fl.