<VV> over heating

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 12 12:36:37 EST 2005

Drove my complete rebuild home on the highway for thirty miles on a
cool (55 degree) night.   No idiot light, no unusual noise, no smoke,
but the water temperature gauge that we installed to monitor the oil
from the lower block pegged at 270 about 25 miles into the trip.
Stupid (me) should have pulled over and allowed it to cool.  Instead,
because of no unusual noise and not even a faint glimmer of said idiot
light, said idiot continued on his not so merry way.  To make a long
painful story short: ate #3 rod bearing which proceeded to send shards
to destroy the rest of the bearings (rod and mains).  Will now replace
crank, #3 rod (and check the rest for shape), all bearings, oil cooler,
and re-hone #3 and possibly all of the cylinders (down five months and
counting).  : (  !

Stephen Upham
Corvairium  II

Stupid is a Stupid does!
  Overheating = light comes on.....never a problem...as the switch
triggers at
a lower temp with age..

Overheating=  engine pinging / oil burnoff causing smoke.......still
not too
bad...

Overheating=  melted plug wires / engine stops...freezes up until
cold.......NOT GOOD!

I've driven a 3.89 geared car 12miles with no belt!......stop every
time it
started pinging.....wait for smoke to die down...drive on....only
problem
was....balance tube connector hoses were fried...causing big MISS  the
NEXT
day..fixed that...drove several thousand miles more....

one Valve guide became so worn it started missing at low rpm...

Matt Nall