<VV> Re: Cloudy plastic (headlights)

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Sun Mar 13 11:34:57 EST 2005

>Subject: <VV> Cloudy Headlights - No Corvair
>To: virtualvairs at corvair.org

>For anyone who knows about such things - my daughter just purchased a '94
>Aerostar, and I noticed that the headlamp covers were sort of fogged and
>slightly
>yellowed. I'm hoping there might be a way to bring them back to life with
>some sort of special polish (there seems to be one for everything). Please drop
>me a private reply if you have had success with such a project.
>Thanks,
>Grant

US Volvo 240s from 1986 to 1993 have similar problems.  Just one more reason I hate the trend in newer cars with unique (and expensive) headlights.  Another example of consumers allowing or encouraging product obsolescence, or maybe body parts being more lucrative than mechanical maintenance parts for manufacturers these days.

Anyhow, I've had pretty good luck using some ancient Maguiars Plastic polish. (euivalent to #10 I think).
http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/product_detailpage.cfm?sku=M-10&store=meg
Note using product 17 prior to 10 might be even better
It needs to be done periodically on my Volvo, since there seems to have been a coating on new lenses.  I'm probably going to try some kind of clear coat after the next polishing.