<VV> Re: Olds Jetfire carb

Phil Brandt f111a at austin.rr.com
Mon Mar 14 15:26:17 EST 2005

The comments re the Rochester RC sidedraft used on '62-'63 Jetfires are on
the mark. I know because I bought three Jetfire turbo/carb rigs from a
junkyard in Las Vegas circa 1975 and long ago replaced my '62 Spyder carb
(164 engine w/early turbo) with the bigger venturi RC unit. I merely sawed
off the RC mounting flange, rotated it appropriately to match the turbo
impeller housing studs, and had the thing heli-arced together.   Beside
having a larger cross-section, another advantage of the RC carb is that it
is already plumbed for water injection. At first I tried to use the stock
Jetfire water-alcohol, anti-detonation rig, but it was impossible to get the
metering pump to work correctly because the diaphragms were always failing.
Stock Olds replacements were, of course, unavailable, so I tried to
manufacture my own, with only so-so results.  Finally I jettisoned the whole
Olds water-alcohol injection rig and simply rigged an aftermarket Edelbrock
water injection system to work through the already-plumbed RC carb. Worked
great! I was indicating 120 on Airbase Road at Mountain Home, ID, and, with
the front airload, the little convert felt like it wanted to get airborne. I
still use the RC carb on my zero-time '66 block, 140 headed, turbo engine
which is about to go into a '63 Spyder convert.

Phil Brandt
Austin, TX
CORSA member since '71