<VV> New brakes

N. Joseph Potts pottsf at msn.com
Wed Mar 16 08:37:05 EST 2005

I've never put nor had disk brakes on a Corvair, but I want to remind you
about something you may have forgotten if you haven't recently driven a car
with drum brakes all around (this depends in part on how old you are, which
I don't know): in very wet (e.g., puddles) conditions, you CAN lose your
braking. It used to happen to me (in my all-drum, stock Corvair) here in
soggy South Florida, but instead of getting disk brakes, I got carbon-Kevlar
brake shoes. I've had these shoes for several months now, and I like them
very much, but I have not had the opportunity to drive them in very wet
conditions, so I haven't been able to test their water resistance as yet.
     If you don't drive in wet conditions, don't pull a trailer, don't drive
long periods in very mountainous terrain, and don't race, I don't think you
would benefit from disks, either on the front OR the rear (remember, braking
effort on a Corvair is MUCH more nearly equal front-to-rear than it is on a
front-engine car). On the other hand, if you want to go to disks (see list
above), now IS the time to do it. A Corvair benefits from disks on the REAR
much more than other cars do. Which axle to choose if only one axle, is
beyond my ken. Possibly a toss-up. Kits ARE available for both.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C