<VV> convertible purchase info - thanks

Larry Forman Larry at forman.net
Thu Mar 17 00:20:32 EST 2005

At 11:49 PM 3/16/2005 -0500, mhicks130 at cox.net wrote:
>The other night I asked for some input on a '65 convertible I'm looking at
>to possibly buy and I just wanted to thank everyone who responded for
>their inputs.  Thanks to all of you I've come to following conclusion: I'm
>more confused than ever!!!  Most of you thought it was a little rough and
>only worth 1/4 -1/2 what the seller is asking.  Others said they thought
>it might be worth it.  The reponses were quite diverse.  But I do
>appreciate all of them!!
>
>I do want a convertible.  I do want one that's local to me (within ~3hrs
>anyway).  I want one that doesn't have serious rust or body
>problems.  This one meets all that but...  I'd also like one that had a
>known running engine and functioning transaxle and brakes.  This engine
>may run fine but I don't know.  It has more rust around the windshield
>than I like.  I think it's coming down to the asking price versus the
>condition of the car.  The seller has said if he can't get his asking
>price he'll keep it and restore it himself.  This implies to me the price
>in non-negotiable but I suppose it couldn't hurt to ask if he'll come down
>any.  We'll see.  I can live with it either way (I think).
>
>Thanks again to all who responded.
>
>Mike
>(The link to the photos again:
>http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mrhix130/my_photos)

Hi Mike,
Yea. Anyone that in love with his car and wants to sell it.  Any bets that
this guy has NO intention of restoring it and maybe doesn't have a clue
just how much it would REALLY cost.  Not knowing if the engine or transaxle
or brakes work is between $3,000 and $4,000 for POTENTIAL (read as
certainly possible if not probable) costs.

When negotiating for purchase of a car, I have GOT to assume the
worst.  Just assume you will need to pay for all the parts and gaskets and
possibly the labor.  Things like rebuilding of the rear Late axle bearings
at about $225 or so, plus brakes at maybe $300-$600 for all the parts and
upgrading things like stainless steel braided lines and Kevlar
linings.  Then too, replacement of the suspension bushings, replacement of
the entire fuel system, and we have not even gotten to the engine or power
train yet!

And there is the rust issue plus body work and paint.  NOT free?!

I just look at what a parts car would be and then add up all of the costs
involved in restoring it.  It is often surprising, and that is often AFTER
the money has been spent in multiple chunks of hundred dollar bills.

You can always give him a card with your name and number on it and your
offer, even if it is offensive to him at this time.  Let him think about it
and sometimes that softens it.  I just let the numbers speak for
themselves.  I tell them that I need to estimate FAIRLY what it will cost
to bring the car up to what it would be as a good running and presentable
car.  Until then it is not really a CAR ( as in a vehicle useful for
transportation) it REALLY is a PROJECT!  Most people will not admit they
are selling a project when they advertise a car.

You can always call in a couple of months and ask how the RESTORATION is
going.   Like that is really going to happen!  Really, you can just tell
them that you are still looking for a CAR.

-- Larry