<VV> 50th Anniversary of the Corvair by Chevrolet

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri Mar 18 17:15:41 EST 2005

At 07:13 hours 03/17/2005, CorvairHQ at aol.com wrote:
>I read somewhere that Chevrolet introduced the amazing 1960 model Corvair  in
>September, 1959 meaning that the Corvair's golden anniversary will be
>September, 2009, about 4 1/2 years from now. I haven't seen or heard of
>any  plans
>to take advantage of this golden opportunity to make the amazing Corvair
>really shine. Is CORSA, GM, or ANYONE planning any events?
>
>What was the first Corvair model off the assembly line and where is the
>oldest living original?
>
>Where was the first Corvair sold? To whom?

I imagine the cavemen among the group will be watching out for a 50th
celebration of some sorts, even if it's just a local show or maybe
something at the Nats.

Oldest Vair?   Last I heard, there was a rather well weathered 500 4-door
hulk in IL that had belonged to Pete K, supposed to have had a VIN
of  ~1001XX  ( I *Think* ) which would have made it one of the cars built
on the first or second day of production, I'd think.    Oldest one I've
seen was another 500 4-door (all Vairs initially were 4-door sedans with
Powerglides) with  100435 on its VIN.    It was at a Vair show and for
sale.   The very early Vairs can be quickly ID'ed by looking at the front
sheet metal below the bumper, left side of the car, for three slots behind
which GM initially located the horn.   This changed early on to behind the
headlight bucket inside the fender.

Not sure who got the very first Vair although it's likely that nobody did;
possibly was slated as a corporate vehicle for a GM big wig...?

The historians need to weigh in on this.

tony..