<VV> caveman

rgubser rgubser at zoomtown.com
Fri Mar 18 20:20:20 EST 2005

About 10 years ago I bought and parted out a very early series 1960 700 sedan. The serial number was something like #3250 (I still have the title around here somewhere). The car was low miles (something like 40,000) but it was badly rusted and the interior was in shreds. The engine, which I'm sure still had what was left of the original o-rings still in it, leaked huge quantities of oil from the pushrod tubes but otherwise ran great! I sold the engine and used some of the parts on a '60 Monza I was refurbishing at the time. The person I got the car from purchased it from the original lady owner, an acquaintance of his. She told him that she had purchased the car from a local dealer's showroom on the day Corvairs were introduced. The dealer, though, told her she couldn't take the car home for a few days because it was the only Corvair he had and he needed one to show to prospective customers until he could get another one! I saved the original speedometer and windshield wiper motor when I parted out the car. Both were dated early July, 1959. I still have the speedometer; I used the wiper motor on another car that needed one. I agree the '60's have a different feeling than the other early Corvairs. They are quieter because of no heater ducting running through the body, and with mucho positive camber on the rear tires, boy, do they oversteer!

rgubser
e-mail: rgubser at zoomtown.com