<VV> belt problem

Larry Forman Larry at forman.net
Sat Mar 19 16:22:16 EST 2005

At 07:01 PM 3/18/2005 -0500, GYoungwolf at aol.com wrote:
>I've got a call yesterday about a car which throws a belt a minute. It's a
>'65 140 (with the secondary carb ports blocked off), but the engine has a
>solid
>crank pulley. The belt guards are in place. The owner has tried most all
>types
>of belts. I'm trying to help troubleshoot over the phone, so I'm not able to
>watch it. The owner says everything appears to be aligned okay. Any
>suggestions? Would the spring loaded pulley solve this?
>Thanks,
>The Carbmeister

Hi Grant,
Here are my favorite stops to fan belt throwing.  Most have been covered in
your replies:

1. I use only a Gates 3VX560 belt.  Right size in length and sits very low
in the pulley grooves.  I have had several friends who only changed to this
belt and it solved their belt throwing problems.  Obtain from an industrial
supplier and you might get these for reasonable prices in small volumes.
2. Make DARN sure the steel pulleys have no rust to catch and throw the
belts.  I take a wood stick VERY CAREFULLY when idling and "polish" to
remove the rust.  Take extreme safety precautions when doing something like
that.  Safety glasses, gloves, etc.
3. Ensure the belt aligns properly as it leaves and meets the harmonic
dampener.  Using the right length belt is one way to ensure that.  Also the
height of the fan pulley needs to be correct.  The higher it is, within
reason, the better the cooling.  Just make sure it doesn't contact the fan
top cover.
4. Good and lubed pulley bearings are required.  Check spin-down without a
belt in place.  If you lube yourself, it is VERY easy to blow out the
bottom seal by over-lubing.  Lube until you feel some restriction, test
spin the bearing, when it runs slowly or with lube resistance, then
stop.  Do NOT continue to fill more.  I ONCE lubed, spun until loose,
re-lubed and repeated until the bottom seal blew out.  Not recommended to
overlube.

-- Larry