<VV> Cave Newz

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Sun Mar 20 12:12:17 EST 2005

Cave Report for Sunday: It was so nice out today (that
means that it wasn't snowing...) that I had the chance to
play with my new toy - a 1960 700 Coupe fresh from the
Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg, PA! Rancher Jeff told me that
this car was a trade-in at a dealer in Maryland 20+ years
ago and it went into storage in a dairy barn never to
return to the road again. The miles are 74k and the car is
99% original. Original red paint and never any bodywork!
The hood was exchanged for a 1961 (Sacrilege!!) but good
old Jeff fixed me up with a PROPER 1960 hood. Thanks
Jeff!! The interesting thing about this car is the fact
that it is so original. Never messed with. When it was
built (3rd week of March, 1960) it was the top of the line
Corvair two door. Monzas didn't make the scene for several
more months. This car has a single, driver's side sun
visor, no arm rests and the normal lack of seat belts -
back up lights - cigarette lighter, etc. It does have an
outside rear view mirror and a dealer installed AM radio.
That's it. Never had trim rings on the original red
wheels. The mechanicals are all original. That may be good
and bad? Anyway, 1960's are neat and original, unmolested
'60's are even neater! - Caveman Pete