<VV> Now the door works, but it won't work!

Larry Forman Larry at forman.net
Sun Mar 20 21:53:40 EST 2005

At 12:14 AM 3/21/2005 +0000, Doug Mackintosh wrote:
>I just fixed the broken inner door handle mechanism
>(the pivot, which had a broken spring) on my '62
>driver.  Before I fixed it, the key locked the door
>fine, but the handle would not return since the spring
>was broken.  Now it springs back fine, but when I lock
>it, it doesn't lock.  The key works fine, but I can
>still open with the outside handle.  Any ideas?
>
>Thanks
>
>-- Doug Mackintosh

Hi Doug,
If it is anything like my Greenbrier, the little spring that rotates the
rotating catch gear on the door is broken and not allowing the rotation to
handle, try to rotate the latch back to home position.  If it rotates back
and THEN the door locks properly, then that is your problem.  On my
Greenbrier, it might work fine for a day, week, or many months, but then it
might decide to not return home and not latch properly.  For the FCs, there
is someone who has a stronger and better spring and will rebuild
these.  The problem is that often the old replacement parts might be broken
also or break shortly when returned to service.

-- Larry