<VV> To ignite or not To Ignite

Larry Forman Larry at forman.net
Mon Mar 21 23:04:57 EST 2005

At 05:38 PM 3/21/2005 -0600, Lauren C Mizel wrote:
>I finally have enough money together to make some necessary
>repairs/upgrades....including a new distributor.  My question is this:
>should I upgrade to an Ignitor 1?  Underground has a package where it
>isn't that much more ($44) to get the ignitor with a rebuilt
>distributor...is it worth it?  What is your experience?  I drive a '65
>Corsa Vert 140/4 327.  This is not a concours car.  My current points
>have given me no trouble, but I haven't driven them long and hard
>yet...Thanks for the input (I will post the data when I get responses).
>
>Thanks,
>Steve Mizel, St. Louis

Hi Steve,
I have standardized on Ignitors (nearly all the ONEs) plus Flamethrower
ignition coils and have not had a failure with either one, so far.  If you
are considering ever going back to points, check for radial play (side to
side) of the rotor.  The top bushing tends to wear out and create a real
problem for points if the top wobbles and changes the dwell at various
cylinders.  The Ignitor unit tends to make all this MUCH less
noticeable.  Still, I would check the distributor and see if it is
relatively wobble free.  If so, then you should not have any problems with
the Ignitor without rebuilding, IMO.  Just check it from time to time and
see if the upper bushing is still relatively intact and working
properly.  OTOH, $44 is not a huge amount for peace of mind and not having
to worry likely for the rest of your ownership.  There you have it -- both
ways. gggg

Larry