<VV> LM question dash/windshield

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Mar 22 12:23:23 EST 2005

In a message dated 3/21/2005 6:24:47 PM Pacific Standard Time,
roharvey at nmsu.edu writes:

I  am looking at a corvair that has very little body rust except for the
upper dash  inside(near the windshield) no rust showing on the  outside
metal around windshield. I removed the chrome on outside of  windshield and
underneath the chrome , it was full of sand. I removed the  sand and  the
metal seems still to be sound.
My  questions:
how is the dash metal structure attached?
Is  this rust problem a major concern?
Can the dash be removed and  replaced easily?

The proper method for doing this is to remove the windshield and the dash
pad - if equipped pull back any wiring, remove the instrument panel and then fix
 the rusted material. I did my convertible using the full Clarks patch panel
-  Mine was rusted at the windshield on both sides. Everything is welded
together  as a unit (except the pad and instrument panels.) and the welds are
subject  to rust. You may have to add metal to regain the soundness of the dash
panel.  - Seth Emerson