<VV> Factory Tire Question

N. Joseph Potts pottsf at msn.com
Wed Mar 23 09:53:20 EST 2005

The tires and wheels are more valuable if kept together. They are probably
more valuable if the wheels are black; less valuable (narrower market) if
they are a body color. The tires/wheels clearly have no value to you, except
that the wheels are usable with new tires, and clearly they are in NO WAY
suitable for ANY driving.
     But they do have show value. I'd put them up for sale for a year or so
to see if someone wants them a lot for show purposes. Now, what do you do to
DRIVE over the next year? Here's what I'd suggest: good-driving 13-inch
tires are getting hard to find. This is your perfect opportunity to switch
to 14-inch rims (Datsun and others I've heard of). Get 14-inch rims from
some junkyard and put new tires on that. In my experience, you'll be better
off driving on those. And those 13 can (eventually) end up in the hands of
someone who has a proper use for them. When you sell them, take the trouble
to emphasize to the buyer that they are NOT fit to be driven on. Some people
might not realize that.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C