<VV> EM Shifter Revisited

Geoffrey A. Johnson geoffj at unm.edu
Wed Mar 23 18:56:00 EST 2005

Thanks to those that responded to my shifter question.  This is on my 63
Convert 4 speed.  I put brass bushings in and everyting on the late shift
tube.  Almost all slop in the linkage is gone.  Finally I could feel the
good ol detent and push up into reverse.  Let up on the clutch and nothing.
I disconencted the linkage and manually pushed into what should be reverse
at the transmission.  Still nothing.  I had initially gotten it to go into
reverse by doing this when I first got the car running, but wont do it now.
Also sometimes at stoplights when shifting into first it will "lock"  and
it feels as if it has shifted into first and reverse.  Let up un the clutch
and the engine will load up and stall.  Does this sound like the problem
where the early trannies can lose whatever pin for reverse?  Is this
readily fixable?  I have other trannies so it is not a big deal.  Just
wondering if I should do something with this tranny or swap in another.

Thanks
Geoff Johnson
Parking on hills for now
63 Vert