<VV> Rebuild II

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 23 23:09:45 EST 2005

	I need some help from anyone who has used Plastigage to measure the
bearing clearances on a crankshaft.
In the service manual, it says to:
	 "2. Place a piece of gauging plastid the full width of the bearing
parallel to the crankshaft on the journal."
Do I measure the Plastigage and cut it to fit the journal width?
	"3. Install other half of crankcase with bearings and evenly torque
all crankcase bolts to specifications."
	Do I put the pieces of Plastigage between the bearing and the
crankshaft or on top of the bearing between the bearing and the
block-half?  If the latter, how do I get them to stay in place while
I'm putting the halves back together (as I'm assuming that I will be
placing the Plastigage on all of the main and rod journal locations and
measuring them in one operation)?
	"5. Without removing the gauging plastic, check its compressed width
(at the widest point) with the graduation on the envelope (fig. 122)
In said picture, it is difficult to tell just what they are measuring.
It doesn't appear to me that they are measuring the width of the
plastic, but a dark mark on the bearing halves or journals.
	I'm also at a loss to interpret the markings on the package that are
used to measure the clearances.  The .001" mark is 5/32", the .0015" is
2/16", the .002" is 3/32" and the .003" is 1/16".

	Any help will be appreciated.  Anything you tell me will have to be
explained pretty simply as I've never been this deep into an engine
solo.

Stephen
Corvairium II