<VV> Re: < VV > Flamethrower, HEI Diagnosis

goofyroo at excite.com goofyroo at excite.com
Thu Mar 24 09:34:57 EST 2005

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions on diagnosing this ignition problem.

I put the voltmeter on the - coil terminal and got 12V.  When spinning the engine I got 9 volts fairly steady.  That suggests normal voltage pull-down due to the starter.  But, the reading didn't fluctuate, as one might expect when the pick-up registers the reluctor blades passing by it.  Possibly my digital voltmeter isn't quick enough to catch the change, but I doubt that.

Thanks for correcting my terminology.  The pick-up is likely the problem, not the reluctor.

I'll check those wires.  (I had, upon installation years ago, ensured that the gap in the distributor housing would accomodate the grommet.)

I'm still a big fan of the Dale system.  Leastwise because, no matter which part fails, I can get a replacement in minutes at any FLAPS.  I'm only taking my time with this because I have a back-up car.

Michael Smith
Dallas