Value increases, was: <VV> Greenbrier and corvair values (long)

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Fri Mar 25 15:43:11 EST 2005

<snip>(Norm said) One of the things I like about Corvairs is  the relatively
low snob factor.  While this results mostly from the  relatively low dollars
these cars command and their besmirched reputation, it  benefits those who have
the depth of character to see through these superficial  things. Another
corollary of rising car prices is rising PARTS prices.  If  the cars
go up in value, parts suppliers will certainly raise their prices as
well.<unsnip>

I agree about the benefits of a "low snob factor", but I don't think  the
relative position of Corvairs will change a bit as the whole market adjusts
upward.  I always compare the price of a new basic car, say a Corolla, to  the
price of a nice, desirable, restored vehicle.  They seem to track  pretty well
and at the moment, that puts the probable price bracket into the  mid-teens and
that seems to be where we are headed.  This movement will  permit the
restoration of marginal cars by people who care about where their  money goes.
(Highly compensated barristers and technical writers may not  be so concerned <ggg>)
 I'd definitely feel worse if Corvairs stayed  in the dungeon when everything
else drifts up, wouldn't you?

As far as the parts are concerned, I don't see any price  differences on
reproduction parts from Year One vs. our  suppliers. Things seem to be pretty
even, cost-wise. (leading  to identical restoration costs).  The Taiwanese parts
makers  don't care if the molding is for a Camaro or a Corvair.  I imagine
certain  rare original pieces might find themselves in higher demand (leading to
higher  prices) as the marginal cars become restoration candidates, but this is
 natural when the number of enthusiasts (and cars) grows.  Don't you want
the Corvair hobby to remain vital or even (gasp) grow?

I for one have had enough suffering from the high restoration costs of low
value vehicles and I don't think there are that many nice, unrestored cars out
there that are candidates for the "ultra" approach anymore.  I'm really
happy that Corvair values are drifting up. I know it makes it easier with my  wife
when she sees the $10k here and the $8K there and I can tell here that they
are worth the investment of time and money...
Craig Nicol
65 Corsa 'vert
66 Monza coupe
67 Monza sedan