<VV> At Wit's End with HEI Ignition

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Fri Mar 25 21:02:53 EST 2005

OK, here's a few more:
1; Is the HEI module and the coil properly grounded? Remember, the HEI
module's output transistor switches the negative side of the coil to ground,  just
like the points do, although the timing is rather a lot fancier.
2. With the ignition on, and the cap off, do you get a spark from the coil
when a screwdriver is is passed over the end of the pickup, with the reluctor
nowhere near it?
3. With the engine cranking, and using a DVM, do you get an AC voltage from
the pickup assembly?
4. With an ammeter in series with the + feed to the thing, does it draw
current when the engine is cranked? This would be a sure fire indication that  the
ground path is open.

The fact you can get the coil to fire means the coil is good. The fact that
the HEI system can't ground it means either the module's ground is  open, the
module is bad, or the pickup is failing to trigger the thing. The  coil is
normally deenergized on these things if there's no signal.

In a message dated 3/25/05 5:11:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,