<VV> battery vents

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 26 23:23:01 EST 2005

I may not have the story exact on why the battery vents came about, but it
goes some thing like this.  GM had come up with a new lighter weight fan
made of essentially a plastic material that they called Delron.  This was to
take the place of those heavy steel fans that were on the early cars.  About
1500 or so of the fans had been made and many were installed on test
vehicles.  I don't know if any of these ever got onto regular production
cars or not and I don't know the exact time period when this took place, but
maybe someone in VV can comment on those items.

Anyway, some of the testing took place in a cold climate.  Alaska?
Colorado?  I don't know for certain just where.  One of the cars had a
faulty regulator which was set a bit too high and was charging the battery
constantly.  They had taken a long drive in several cars and the driver
(tester) of the high charging car was sick and coughing and watery eyes etc
by the end of the day.

After investigating the situation, it turned out that the acid fumes being
kicked off by the constantly charging battery had reacted with the Delron
fan resulting in formaldehyde fumes which got into the heater and therefore
into the passenger compartment.  GM scrapped the Delron fan and came up with
the magnesium one as the replacement. BTW, those are kind of fun in a camp
fire (don't do this at home and if you do it anyway, DO NOT pour water on).

There was of course still concern over the potential of a cooking battery
sending acid fumes to the passenger compartment, so the battery vent tubes
were born.  I'm not sure if they stayed all the way to the end of
production.  Someone with a '69 might be able to tell us if the holes are
there on their car.

Anyone who has more specific knowledge on this than I, feel free to correct
any misstatements I may have made.

Later, JR