<VV> battery area question

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Sun Mar 27 01:57:33 EST 2005

Joe,

The vented battery caps were STANDARD on ALL '65-9 Corvairs, and meant
to vent battery vapors out of the air stream of the heater. The Corvair,
by virtue of its design, was the only car to use them, and has been
forgotten by every battery maker since. So really, when we don't have
the batteries vented per factory design, we are risking whatever made
the engineers design the venting system in the first place. Oddly
enough, early Corvairs don't use a venting system, so my guess is that
the system was just overkill. Particularly since few of us anymore make
much use of the heater anyway.

-Mark