<VV> battery area question

Kent Sullivan kentsu at corvairkid.com
Sun Mar 27 14:19:31 EST 2005

Hi Harry et al.,

Group 22F is definitely the stock battery size for '65 and '66 without HD
battery. The group 24 is definitely the stock HD battery for those same
years.

A 22F fits fine in the battery tray; it's a little smaller than the 24
actually. The 24s I have bought just fit in the plastic tray.

You are right that a 24F is the way to go for someone who does not care
about stock. This is what I have in my '66 coupe. More CCA than the 22F but
not too much bigger.

Chevy (Delco) never had a 24F made because the Corvair was the only model
that needed it. RPO T60 only sold a combined 13146 units from '65 - '67.
(See the article in the February '05 Communique.)

It would be fun to have an application list for batteries in GM cars from
the '60s. I wonder what other cars used the group 24?

--Kent

P.S. I have been told by several people that the "F" means "Ford", as in
this orientation was originated by Ford. Is that true?