historical accuracy, was: <VV> Tire gurus

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Mon Mar 28 12:20:08 EST 2005

All this discussion brings up a point. With regard to historical
accuracy, is it better to preserve the factory LOOK of the (factory
stock) car, or it's speedo's mechanical accuracy? In this case, is it
better to have a tire with the diameter that LOOKS like an authentic
7.00-13, or one who's size is chosen merely to allow the speedo to
function accurately? And if radials end up adversely affecting the look,
should they be banned in stock classes?

As stated before, I dislike the undersized look of (most all) present
radial tires. Like any car, wide-open wheel wells (what you get when the
tires don't fill the openings) don't look good. The downside is that
with 13" wheels, it looks like we are pretty much stuck with
undersize-looking tires (when they're radials.)

-Mark C