Flywheels & RE: <VV> Washers or no

Western Canada CORSA westerncanadacorsa at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 28 13:21:51 EST 2005

I just finished replacing my clutch on the weekend, and according the Bob's
"The Classic Corvair" the bottom 4 bolts inside the bellhousing should not
have washers.

An FYI for those that like to just pull the engine.  Cutting slots into the
ends of the bolts that secure the bellhousing to the differential makes
getting them in and out much, MUCH easier.  You can use a 12point box wrench
to get the bolt loose at the tiny incremental turns permited by the space
available and then use a flat head screwdriver in the opposite end to
quickly get the bolt out the rest of the way.

Also, don't drop your bolted flywheel off at the local machine shop for
resurfacing if they can't center and re-balance it for you.  My local shop
had to disassemble the flywheel to resurface it, but didn't call to ask
before doing so.  I got back a nice surfaced flywheel in 3 pieces and a bag
of nuts and bolts.  I made generous use of How To Keep Your Corvair Alive
and was able to get it back together, but it wasn't something I'd planned on
for my weekend project.

Regards,
Joel