historical accuracy, was: <VV> Tire gurus

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Tue Mar 29 11:14:13 EST 2005

Mike,

All I can say is that you are definately showing your youth. You are too
used to seeing modern cars with "rubber band" tires of 50, 40, 30, and
even 25 section that you don't know any different. Cars didn't always
show all rim and no tire. Way back in the bone age when Corvairs were
new, tires were a large part of the profile looks of a car. The
Corvair's 7.00-13 tires have a HUGE sidewall, almost half the diameter!
You need to see a Corvair with the correct 7.00-13 tires to appreciate
that. Nothing today even comes close, which is the problem.

Having been around Corvairs since their introduction, I can speak from
experience. Which is why I have always maintained that even a 185/80R-13
is too small for Corvairs. Bruce Schug presented a great assessment of
the situation in a recent post.

-Mark