<VV> RE: Belt tensioner

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Mar 29 15:39:46 EST 2005

In a message dated 3/29/2005 12:28:55 PM Pacific Standard Time,
danderson at qcsd.org writes:

In  regard to the belt tensioner: I was asking because I expect the engine I
have  built to rev to 6500 rpm or there about. Over the years I never had
problems  up to 55-5800, but what about beyond that. The spring loaded pulley
makes  sense, but after my experience with the original type I thought the new
design  I saw might be better. Maybe it still won't be necessary. Does anyone
have  experience at higher revs?
Mitch Anderson
66 Corsa  Cp

The only time I had any belt problems was in Autocross, fast rev up and  down
 - on and off the gas. I only tossed one belt Road Racing - and that  was due
to a missed shift (driver error!) I did lose a belt once on the street -
driving like it was an autocross. But I was so much older then, I'm younger than
that now!

I have used the integral tensioner designed by Rich Harris many years ago.
It was especially nice on a street car, because the spring didn't attach to the
 rear bodywork (also known as a drum) so it was quiet in operation. You can
find  them at swap meets once in a while. They were re-released in the mid-80's
I  believe. The current one that Lon sells is similar in function - and a lot
 prettier! I also have used the Gates 3VX560 belt in a stock  application.

- Seth Emerson