<VV> Re: synthetic in new engine

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Wed Mar 30 00:18:21 EST 2005

In a message dated 3/29/05 9:31:51 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
turbobraf at cox.net writes:

> I do not understand how many new cars
> can come out of the showroom floor with synthetic oil. Note that our vendors
>
> do not recommend synthetic oil until after the engine has broken in
> properly.
>
> Bill Brafford

Bill,
All new cars and certain rebult engines use a cylinder honing technique
called Plateau Honing. This method makes the cylinders like those of a broken-in
engine so that when first started the rings are already seated. This is a MUST
on new cars which must meet emissions standards upon first starting. That is
why they can use synthetic oil.
Regards,
Bob Helt