<VV> removing input shaft seal

goofyroo at excite.com goofyroo at excite.com
Wed Mar 30 09:27:04 EST 2005

Whatever you do, don't use a screwdriver to pry against the inside of the throwout shaft.  It's not strong that way, and cracking/breaking a chunk out of it will rapidly escalate the time and money involved in the job you're doing.  DAMHIK.

Michael Smith
Dallas

While I've got my differential and tranny off the engine (1965 Monza with 4
speed), I'd like to replace the input shaft seal (and throwout bearing, of
course, and pilot bearing too). Does anyone have any tips on how to remove
the thick retaining ring for the input shaft seal? I'm sure I can get it
out, but I'd like to do it without damaging the throwout sleeve! I've
thought of drilling holes in it so I could use snap ring pliers, but that's
the best I've come up with so far.