<VV> more on Plateau honing

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Wed Mar 30 15:55:14 EST 2005

John,
If you are asking me, please see below for my comments.
Regards,
Bob Helt

In a message dated 3/30/05 7:33:09 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
jdozsa at carr.org writes:

> Questions ...........
>
> 1. Are the cylinder barrels sold by Corvair vendors plateau honed?

Only the vendors can tell you this.

> 2. If no, would you go out of your way or pay more for plateau honing
> vs. the wear in break-in oil technique?

It all depends on your pocketbook, their costs and your intended use of the
engine.

> 3. Do plateau honed engines last longer than non plateau honed engines?
> Obviously keeping all maintenance equal.

Well, I've never seen any data or proof, but logic would tell you that a
plateau honed engine would last a lot longer then one not so honed. But again only
you can decide. If an engine honed the old way will break in within 3000
miles, it might be expected to have a life of, say, 100,000 to 150,000 miles. So,
maybe, a plateau honed engine might have an expectancy of 300,000 miles. But,
and that could be a bit BUT, who is really going to benefit from the
additional 150,000 miles of life? Will anybody ever keep a car long enough to go that
additional mileage?

Bob Helt