<VV> more on Plateau honing

Geoffrey A. Johnson geoffj at unm.edu
Wed Mar 30 16:23:31 EST 2005

I think this is quite a stretch of the imagination.  That a plateau honed
engine will last twice as long.  It comes down to how much ring material
loss and cylinder wall loss is observed on a engine that is not honed in
such a manner versus the same loss on a identical engine with the same
initial conditions and break in.  Sure it will have obvious benefits on
intial break-in.  I think in tests you would find a much smaller difference
in overall life then  most people would guess.
-Geoff Johnson