<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 2, Issue 222

John Headley robedinpurple at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 30 21:24:01 EST 2005

<snip>I have a question concerning the timing of a  95
engine which was used with a manual transmission and
now will be used with an  automatic.  The
distributor  is the one for the manual transmission.
Should the timing of the engine still be 2 degrees or
should it go to the  10-11 degrees for an
automatic?

_Corvair412 at aol.com_ (mailto:Corvair412 at aol.com)
Dick  Tetzloff
<unsnip>

Dick,
It seems no one has tackled your question yet.  While
I am not an expert on the relative differences in
vacuum advance curves between vair engines, the answer
still should be relatively simple.  Timing is timing.
You've got your base and then the advance that happens
as RPM increases.  The base timing of 10-11 degrees
was specified for automatic apps.  There may have been
differences in vacuum advance curves originally on
these engines based on transmission, but if you look
in the Clark's catalog, they do not differentiate
(except turbo).  Your distributor should probably be
adjusted to give the desired base timing for an auto
(i.e. 10-11 degrees).  I would set it there and drive
it.  If the vacuum advance is indeed an issue, you
might get some pinging.  Just back it off a few
degrees until you don't get any more.  The 8 degrees
of timing difference probably won't cause any pinging,
especially if you use quality gas (higher octane).  If
it does, it's simple enough to back off.

-John Headley
64 monza convert
Royal Oak, MI